The Austin Film Society is creating Austin’s home for classic, independent and new art house film programming. While Austin is regarded as one of the world’s best cities for movie fans, it’s missing an art house exclusively dedicated to this kind of programming.
To unite filmmakers and film lovers, AFS is partnering with the Marchesa Hall & Theatre to create AFS at the Marchesa, Austin's new home for classic, independent and art house programming. AFS at the Marchesa is Austin's very own 278-seat exhibition and community space (6226 Middle Fiskville Rd), located at the intersection of I-35 & 290, behind the Highland Mall.
AFS AT THE MARCHESA WILL BE:
- Austin’s go-to art house theater with exciting programs every week
- A gathering place for film lovers in the lobby bar, where we can talk about the movies before and after screenings
- A place where non-profits and community groups can exhibit films and videos on state-of-the-art equipment at reasonable rates
- A home for filmmakers to exhibit their work as well as see excellent films on the big screen
To make the Marchesa Austin’s own art house theater, we have to invest in technical upgrades that will make the theater viable. These necessary upgrades will enable AFS to show almost every movie we want on the Marchesa’s beautiful 30-foot screen.
THIS CAMPAIGN WILL COVER:
- 35mm changeover system – the industry standard for archival film prints
- A digital projector and DCP system – the most commonly used projection format for new films as well as digital restorations
- Dolby 5.1 surround sound equipment and installation
- Plus, updates to the Marchesa projection booth, theater and lobby to create “the Best Little Art House in Texas” dedicated to classic, international and independent work
- How often will AFS be at the Marchesa?
AFS will host screenings at the Marchesa Hall & Theatre 16 nights a month and more on a space available basis. Typically, screenings will be held on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Will AFS own the equipment?
AFS owns the equipment, but other organizations may use it when renting the space by hiring an AFS-approved projectionist.
- How can other organizations access the space?
AFS is always open to programming films of interest for other nonprofits. If you’re interested in collaborating with us on a screening, email firstname.lastname@example.org. To get in touch with the Marchesa Hall & Theatre to discuss rates and space needed, contact Deborah Gil at email@example.com.
- What makes the AFS at the Marchesa different from other movie theaters in Austin?
AFS will show films without restrictions - classic, independent or up and coming programming. The spacious lobby will be available for use before and after each screening and AFS posters will be displayed throughout. AFS members receive discounts or complimentary tickets to screenings we host.
- How do I become an AFS member?
Click here or visit www.austinfilm.org/join to sign up.
- What are the benefits in becoming an AFS member?
From free admission to advance screenings, member mixers and AFS merchandise -- to discounted tickets, pre-sale purchase windows and invitations to special events and red carpet premiere -- AFS memberships offer film lovers "insiders" access at various price levels. Click here for membership levels and benefits. Join today and start taking advantage of your membership perks!
- Where is AFS at the Marchesa located and how do I get there?
AFS at the Marchesa (6226 Middle Fiskville Rd) is located at the intersection of I-35 & 290 behind the Highland Mall. There's plenty of parking available.
Click here for directions.