The Austin Film Society’s Film Club afterschool program has been engaging young filmmakers since 2004. Film Club uses digital media literacy as a framework for teaching students how to analyze, explore and produce films, fostering our next generation of moviemakers and film aficionados.
Far more than a traditional club, AFS Film Club is a partnership with AISD’s ACE Austin (Afterschool Centers on Education), The Andy Roddick Foundation, and Austin Achieve Public Schools. ACE programs all over Texas focus on key educational, cognitive, life, career and technology skills that are key to the development of a 21st Century Workforce.
In conjunction with the expectations of ACE Austin, the AFS Film Club has the following goals:
- Teach the craft of filmmaking and digital media production, in order to empower students to express themselves creatively and gain valuable 21st Century skills. These skills are defined by the Partnership for 21st Century Skills, which focuses on preparing youth for the rigors of college and career.
- Familiarize students with filmmaking technology and a wide range of equipment and software.
- Offer engaging and positive programming tailored to the students’ interests and experience levels in the afterschool setting.
- Illustrate career and college pathways related to the digital media industries and encourage the use of artistic expression in all students’ scholastic endeavors.
AFS Film Club curriculum, which includes topics ranging from camera techniques and storyboarding to animation and film history, is taught by our Filmmaking Mentors. These talented artists customize the Film Club curriculum to best fit the interests, needs and skill sets of each school campus. They also bring their own production experience into the classroom, illustrating film and media career paths. AFS curriculum is aligned with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Communication and Media Systems and Language Arts and Reading.
Each semester, student films are screened at the AFS Cinema for family and friends.
During the 2018-2019 school year, AFS has facilitated workshops at each of the following local schools:
- MIDDLE SCHOOLS – Austin Achieve
- ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS – Ortega, Hart, Pecan Springs, Harris, Oak Springs, Widen, Blackshear, and East Austin Prep.
For information about the AFS Film Club program, email email@example.com.
Congratulations to our Film Club @ Hart Elementary for competing at the 2018 Cine Las Americas International Film Festival! Watch IMMIGRATION MOVIE and other Film Club highlights below.