Fall 2016 Internship
Founded in 1985 by filmmaker Richard Linklater, the Austin Film Society’s mission is to empower our community to make, watch, and love creative media. At the AFS Cinema, AFS curates and screens hundreds of repertory, international and arthouse films annually; delivers financial support to Texas filmmakers through the AFS Grant; operates Austin Studios, a 20-acre production facility, and Austin Public, a space for our city’s diverse mediamakers to train and collaborate. Through its award-winning after school classes, intern training, and the Ed Lowry Student Film program, AFS encourages media literacy and provides a place for youth of all backgrounds to learn the craft of filmmaking and gain access to tools for media production. By hosting premieres, special events, local and international industry events, and the Texas Film Awards, AFS shines the national spotlight on Texas filmmakers while connecting Austin and Texas to the wider film community. AFS is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
AFS seeks a Development Manager to strengthen, manage, and monitor the AFS Membership program; implement Development Department reporting practices; serve as the Development Department’s project manager; and supervise entry-level personnel. This is a full-time position with some evening and weekend responsibilities and reports to the Relationships and Revenue Division Chief.
Measures of success
· Funding and advancing our mission: increase in the renewal rate, membership dollars raised, and the number of members. Membership is integrated into the AFS Cinema.
· Systematic review of meaningful data: develops metrics and reporting systems around the membership program and implements regular reporting practices for the Development Department.
· Projects are on time and on budget: utilizes project management skills to ensure Development Department projects are moving forward successfully.
· Supports members in more deeply connecting with their film-focused passions: establishes and executes a system to identify opportunities for members to meaningfully connect with and bolster AFS programs.
· Manage, refine, and expand the AFS membership program. Develop and implement reporting practices and enhance the AFS stewardship program.
· Optimize the membership program around mission delivery and revenue generation. Work closely with Division Chief on integration with the Cinema and monitor the membership experience at the Cinema.
· Actively seek and seize opportunities to connect with members and foster their relationship with AFS.
· Responsible for member-related events and the membership aspect of all other AFS events.
· Generate and execute regular communications with members and key stakeholders in partnership with Marketing and other departments as needed.
· Serve as primary staff contact for the INDIEpendents, a group of young leaders whose work elevates Austin’s profile as an international center for filmmaking and film culture, and facilitate the committee’s fundraising success.
· Support the Division Chief in project management and resource allocation within the Development Department and project manage Development Department projects as defined in partnership with the Division Chief.
· Supervise entry-level personnel.
· Development event team member, including significant duties related to the Texas Film Awards.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Thrives on providing an outstanding member experience.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Knowledge of fundraising best practices.
· Active listening and ability to decipher donor expectations, interests, and desires.
· Analyzes programs using quantitative and qualitative data. Highly analytical. Deeply curious.
· Solid database skills, including process design and data health practices.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Ability to manage multiple deadlines.
· Exceptional team player. Comfortable with collaboration across departments.
· Must be responsible, professional, reliable, resourceful, and flexible.
· Mission-focused. Must love film and/or filmmaking.
· Success in growing membership programs, managing multiple projects concurrently, and planning events.
· Five or more years of professional experience with progressive authority.
· Three or more years of development experience or experience running membership programs.
· Capital campaign and crowd-funding experience preferred.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Hours may vary week to week. May be required to work evening and weekends for event support.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to email@example.com with “Development Manager – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Development Manager – Lauren Alexander-Labahn). Your cover letter should be addressed to Lauren Alexander-Labahn, Chief Revenue Officer, Division of Relationships and Revenue. All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
AFS seeks a Sponsorship Manager to increase corporate funding by cultivating and extending existing business partnerships and instigating and managing new corporate relationships. Additionally, the Sponsorship Manager will assist with PR duties as needed, including interview coordination at premieres and special events.
This is a full-time position with some evening and weekend responsibilities and reports to the Management Consultant - Communications & Partnerships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
•Able to maintain a solid understanding of Austin Film Society, its current programs and initiatives, history, core values, goals and mission
•Possesses excellent networking skills; outgoing and socially active
•Capable of serving as an admirable AFS ambassador at our events and when out and about in the community
•Self-motivated, creative, strategic, and highly organized
•Possesses excellent writing, analytical, and research skills
•A strong negotiator with clear communication skills, both written and verbal
•Has strong attention to detail and accuracy; able to prioritize and organize multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve, and multi-task
•Customer-service minded; dedicated to nurturing corporate relationships
•Able to work under pressure
•Able to work evenings and weekends as required
•Able to thrive and work effectively as part of a team in a fast-paced and rapidly growing environment, in addition to remaining self-motivated and goal-oriented
•Proactively takes actions necessary to produce results
•Identifies emerging industry trends to create opportunities
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
•Five or more years of professional experience with progressive authority
•At least three years of experience in outward-facing positions that have involved negotiating sponsorships or marketing partnership deals and working with multiple brands
•Local market knowledge preferred
•Non-profit experience preferred
•Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree (e.g. MBA) preferred
•Advanced knowledge of software: Google Suite, primary Social Media platforms, Microsoft Office Suite, especially Powerpoint
•Basic knowledge of Smartsheets
•Intermediate knowledge of Apple computers (OSX)
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Charlotte Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sponsorship Manager – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Sponsorship Manager – Charlotte Hill). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
OFFICE ASSISTANT, Temp
We are looking for a perfectionist who can keep commitments. If this describes you, keep reading. AFS seeks an Office Assistant who will work out of the Austin Public facility. He/she will maintains office operations by serving clients, invoicing clients, receiving and distributing communications, maintaining supplies and equipment, and arranging picking-up and delivering of items.
Measures of Success
•Austin Public members and clients report ease of access and availability to Austin Public services.
•Accounts receivables are less than 30 days
•Supplies are well stocked
•Physical transactions (check requests, credit card receipts, etc) between Austin Public and the Main Office are routine and efficient
•Doors are open on time, the building is ready for production
•Filing (both electronic and print) is current and orderly
•Maintains operational hours by opening the doors and preparing the building to receive clients
•Serves as receptionist; answers questions; forwards messages; answers the phone; delivers mail; monitors suggestion box; responds to routine email inquiries and routes other email appropriately
•Invoices clients for all departments
•Orders office supplies, maintains tidy and welcoming appearance for all public areas
•Keeps coffee station stocked and supplied; makes coffee throughout shift; cleans station at beginning & end of each shift
•Supports on-site meetings, including room set-up, conference call logistics, food/drinks, post-meeting clean-up
•Accepts other administrative duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
•Highly organized and able to follow-through. Service minded. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be professional, reliable, resourceful, and flexible.
•Multi-line Phone System
Experience / Education
High School Diploma or equivalent, some college preferred. Office experience.
Complexities and Conditions of Employment
This position requires nights, weekends, and after hours availability. This position will office at Austin Public (1143 Northwestern Ave) and is full-time through August 31 at $15/hour with the following fixed schedule:
Monday: 1pm – 8pm
Tuesday: 1pm – 8pm
Wednesday: 11am – 7pm
Saturday: 11:30am – 8:30pm
Sunday: 9:30am – 6:30pm
Physical/ Environmental Demands: Sitting and/or standing, keyboarding, reading, grasping, mousing, handwriting for 8.0+ hours per day, and lifting maximum weight of 20lbs are essential requirements of the position.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to email@example.com with “Office Assistant – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Office Assistant – Sarah Ann Mockbee). Your cover letter should be addressed to Sarah Ann Mockbee, Chief Operating Officer. All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
FALL 2016 Internship & Film Referral Program now accepting applications.
The AFS Internship and Film Referral Program is comprised of two phases. Our goals are to educate participants about the film and arts industries and facilitate job placement in the field. The first phase is an Office Internship, followed by a Senior Internship and the Film Referral Program. The Internships each last a semester and takes place at the AFS Offices at Austin Studios. The Film Referral phase is ongoing. More information & application >