Fall 2016 Internship
Founded in 1985 by filmmaker Richard Linklater, the Austin Film Society’s mission is to empower our community to make, watch, and love creative media. At the AFS Cinema, AFS curates and screens hundreds of repertory, international and arthouse films annually; delivers financial support to Texas filmmakers through the AFS Grant; operates Austin Studios, a 20-acre production facility, and Austin Public, a space for our city’s diverse mediamakers to train and collaborate. Through its award-winning after school classes, intern training, and the Ed Lowry Student Film program, AFS encourages media literacy and provides a place for youth of all backgrounds to learn the craft of filmmaking and gain access to tools for media production. By hosting premieres, special events, local and international industry events, and the Texas Film Awards, AFS shines the national spotlight on Texas filmmakers while connecting Austin and Texas to the wider film community. AFS is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
AFS seeks a Development Manager to strengthen, manage, and monitor the AFS Membership program; implement Development Department reporting practices; serve as the Development Department’s project manager; and supervise entry-level personnel. This is a full-time position with some evening and weekend responsibilities and reports to the Relationships and Revenue Division Chief.
Measures of success
· Funding and advancing our mission: increase in the renewal rate, membership dollars raised, and the number of members. Membership is integrated into the AFS Cinema.
· Systematic review of meaningful data: develops metrics and reporting systems around the membership program and implements regular reporting practices for the Development Department.
· Projects are on time and on budget: utilizes project management skills to ensure Development Department projects are moving forward successfully.
· Supports members in more deeply connecting with their film-focused passions: establishes and executes a system to identify opportunities for members to meaningfully connect with and bolster AFS programs.
· Manage, refine, and expand the AFS membership program. Develop and implement reporting practices and enhance the AFS stewardship program.
· Optimize the membership program around mission delivery and revenue generation. Work closely with Division Chief on integration with the Cinema and monitor the membership experience at the Cinema.
· Actively seek and seize opportunities to connect with members and foster their relationship with AFS.
· Responsible for member-related events and the membership aspect of all other AFS events.
· Generate and execute regular communications with members and key stakeholders in partnership with Marketing and other departments as needed.
· Serve as primary staff contact for the INDIEpendents, a group of young leaders whose work elevates Austin’s profile as an international center for filmmaking and film culture, and facilitate the committee’s fundraising success.
· Support the Division Chief in project management and resource allocation within the Development Department and project manage Development Department projects as defined in partnership with the Division Chief.
· Supervise entry-level personnel.
· Development event team member, including significant duties related to the Texas Film Awards.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Thrives on providing an outstanding member experience.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Knowledge of fundraising best practices.
· Active listening and ability to decipher donor expectations, interests, and desires.
· Analyzes programs using quantitative and qualitative data. Highly analytical. Deeply curious.
· Solid database skills, including process design and data health practices.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Ability to manage multiple deadlines.
· Exceptional team player. Comfortable with collaboration across departments.
· Must be responsible, professional, reliable, resourceful, and flexible.
· Mission-focused. Must love film and/or filmmaking.
· Success in growing membership programs, managing multiple projects concurrently, and planning events.
· Five or more years of professional experience with progressive authority.
· Three or more years of development experience or experience running membership programs.
· Capital campaign and crowd-funding experience preferred.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Hours may vary week to week. May be required to work evening and weekends for event support.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to email@example.com with “Development Manager – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Development Manager – Lauren Alexander-Labahn). Your cover letter should be addressed to Lauren Alexander-Labahn, Chief Revenue Officer, Division of Relationships and Revenue. All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
Supervise the maintenance and repair of Austin Film Society's three locations including Austin Studios, AFS Cinema and Austin Public. Oversee maintenance staff, contract labor and vendors, as well as coordinate repairs and improvements with Landlord and relevant tenants for each location.
Measures of Success
• Systems and tools are developed to help keep AFS facility operations organized and efficient
• Repairs are seen through to completion on time with proper follow-up activities enacted
• Relationships with tenants, community members and other organizations are positive and customers repost satisfaction with responses
• Premises are clean, organized and safe within constraints of the budget
• Sales Team is empowered for success with both facilities rentals, as well as client management
• AFS maintains all requirements of facilities leases with regards to improvements, repairs and upkeep
•Serves as the a first point of contact for service requests from AFS staff and tenants
•Working with facilities planner, develops strategies to repair and maintain facilities, and oversee the completion of tasks either through delegation or direct work
•Works with AFS programs, sales and event staff to ensure facilities are in proper shape
•Manages IT staff to ensure facility upgrades and infrastructure needs are met
•Maintains records of facility assets and maintenance activities
•Maintains vendor relationships and, in conjunction with Studio Manager, tenant relationships
•Maintains records and photos relevant to the condition of the premises for tenant on- and off-boarding
•Advanced experience with Building systems, including HVAC, security, waste management, ADA-compliance, OSHA guidelines.
•Able to understand all Austin Film Society leases and to ensure compliance with respect to facilities maintenance.
•Experience managing staff, contractors, vendors and other facilities-related workers.
•Exercises good judgment when answering inquiries and resolving issues that do not require executive decisions.
•Adapts well to changing environments and priorities.
•Advanced organizational skills and attention to detail.
•Comfortable multi-tasking and works will under pressure.
•Communicates openly and directly towards great customer service.
•Excellent at interpreting and analyzing a variety of documents (including financial documents).
•Intermediate telephone skills, both in terms of etiquette and ability to use multi-line phone systems.
•Intermediate level of expertise with Microsoft Office and Google Suite. Raiser’s Edge and/or facilities management software experience are not required, but a plus.
•Basic database and data entry skills.
•Film studio and/or production experience a plus.
•Familiarity with event coordination is preferred.
Required Education and Experience
5-7 years experience with property / facilities management
Background working in a landlord & sublease relationship
Hours and Compensation
Full-time; hours may vary week to week. May be required to work evenings and weekends for event support. This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Katy Daiger Dial, Studio Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Facilities Manager – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Facilities Manager – Katy Daiger Dial). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
AFS seeks a Sponsorship Manager to increase corporate funding by cultivating and extending existing business partnerships and instigating and managing new corporate relationships. Additionally, the Sponsorship Manager will assist with PR duties as needed, including interview coordination at premieres and special events.
This is a full-time position with some evening and weekend responsibilities and reports to the Management Consultant - Communications & Partnerships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
•Able to maintain a solid understanding of Austin Film Society, its current programs and initiatives, history, core values, goals and mission
•Possesses excellent networking skills; outgoing and socially active
•Capable of serving as an admirable AFS ambassador at our events and when out and about in the community
•Self-motivated, creative, strategic, and highly organized
•Possesses excellent writing, analytical, and research skills
•A strong negotiator with clear communication skills, both written and verbal
•Has strong attention to detail and accuracy; able to prioritize and organize multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve, and multi-task
•Customer-service minded; dedicated to nurturing corporate relationships
•Able to work under pressure
•Able to work evenings and weekends as required
•Able to thrive and work effectively as part of a team in a fast-paced and rapidly growing environment, in addition to remaining self-motivated and goal-oriented
•Proactively takes actions necessary to produce results
•Identifies emerging industry trends to create opportunities
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
•Five or more years of professional experience with progressive authority
•At least three years of experience in outward-facing positions that have involved negotiating sponsorships or marketing partnership deals and working with multiple brands
•Local market knowledge preferred
•Non-profit experience preferred
•Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree (e.g. MBA) preferred
•Advanced knowledge of software: Google Suite, primary Social Media platforms, Microsoft Office Suite, especially Powerpoint
•Basic knowledge of Smartsheets
•Intermediate knowledge of Apple computers (OSX)
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Charlotte Hill at email@example.com with “Sponsorship Manager – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Sponsorship Manager – Charlotte Hill). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
Serve as AFS ambassadors and customer service representatives in the lobby of AFS Cinema. Concessions Associates will prepare drinks and snacks requested by guests, and will adhere to established pouring standards and drink recipes to provide a consistent product to the guests and to control costs.
•Deliver exceptional service by greeting and serving customers
•Be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the food and beverage offerings
•Suggest additional items to customers, as appropriate
•Support other areas of the cinema, such as ticketing, answering telephones and completing financial transactions
•Represent AFS at the front of the theater for guests with questions, therefore must familiarize onself with the mission and programs of AFS
•Minimum of 1 year experience in food service/hospitality desired
•Food handler's card and TABC permit are required
•Must be 21 years old
•Must enjoy and be able to succeed in a fast-paced work environment
•Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with customers and coworkers
•Basic math and written communication skills
•Ability to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the theater
•Customer service focused and solution oriented
•Must Love Film!
•High school diploma, or equivalent
•Previous bartending experience preferred
Hours and Compensation
Part time; hours and days may vary from week to week. Primarily evening and weekends for event support. Paid at $11/hr plus tips.
Email your resume and cover letter to David Monahan, General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Concessions Associate – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Concessions Associate – David Monahan). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
Job Purpose Summary
The Equipment Specialist will handle all weekend equipment and studio reservations for Austin Public and be the main point of contact for the community during Austin Public's weekend operating hours. This position will provide onsite tech support for the studios and equipment, handle customer service questions, monitor the building and support the Equipment and Lab Coordinator in any additional facility and/or equipment needs.
Measures For Success
• Working relationship with Austin Public staff and general public is positive and professional at all times.
• Fully comprehends all of Austin Public policies and procedures and properly enforces them.
• Fully comprehends all additional equipment room and resource reservation policies and procedures and properly enforces them.
• Timely and accurately fills out the required violation forms when a violation occurs.
• Properly follows Austin Public facility opening and closing procedures, as well as emergency protocols when an emergency occurs.
• Meets the knowledge requirements set by the Equipment and Lab Coordinator for all Austin Public equipment, editing hardware and studios.
• Provides a safe environment for the Austin Public facility and its users during the open weekend hours by monitoring the security cameras, locking the equipment room and knowing who is in the building at all times.
• Provides quality customer service and tech support.
• Opens and closes the facility on time during weekend hours.
Essential Responsibilities & Accountabilities/Duties
• Checking in and out approving Producer Reservations as well as maintaining all paperwork associated with reservations, including contracts and violation reports. – 50%
• Providing in-house tech support for studios and equipment -15%
• Answering phone and in-person customer service questions -10%
• Providing facility support such as opening and closing the building before and after shift, bi-weekly dusting and mopping of the studios and supporting any rental, event and class set ups and equipment needs during weekend hours – 10%
• Monitoring channels and provide basic tech support for Telvue system and master Control Room – 5%
• Providing file uploading tech support and answering questions about content submissions – 5%
• Supporting the Equipment and Lab Coordinator in any additional facility and/or equipment needs – 5%
• Advanced ability to work unsupervised
• Advanced ability to work under pressure
• Intermediate multitasking skills
• Intermediate customer service skills
• Intermediate communication skills (written and verbal)
• Intermediate knowledge of Apple computers (OSX)
• Basic knowledge of software: Google Suite, Final Cut X and/or Adobe Premiere
• Basic knowledge of production and equipment safety Required Education/Experience High School Diploma Previous inventory, equipment rental and/or production experience is a plus
Complexities and Conditions of Employment
• This position requires reliable transportation.
• This position requires a willingness to work weekends.
• Physical / Environmental Demands: Sitting and/or standing, keyboarding, reading, grasping, mousing, handwriting for 8.0+ hours per day, and lifting or moving weight of 50lbs are essential requirements for the position.
Hours and Compensation
This is a part-time position expected to work 18 hours per week during weekends. This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Doug Gray, Station Manager at email@example.com with “Equipment Specialist – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Equipment Specialist – Doug Gray). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
FALL 2016 Internship & Film Referral Program now accepting applications.
The AFS Internship and Film Referral Program is comprised of two phases. Our goals are to educate participants about the film and arts industries and facilitate job placement in the field. The first phase is an Office Internship, followed by a Senior Internship and the Film Referral Program. The Internships each last a semester and takes place at the AFS Offices at Austin Studios. The Film Referral phase is ongoing. More information & application >