Since 1985, the Austin Film Society’s (AFS) mission has been to empower its community to make, watch and love film and creative media. We do this through:
• Exhibition of 200+ internationally relevant films annually
• Filmmaker support including the AFS Grant for emerging Texas filmmakers (totaling $1.5 million since 1996)
• Austin Studios, a 20-acre production facility (operated through a lease with the City of Austin) that supports film, TV and digital media.
• Community media programs in including AFS Film Club in 13 under-served public schools, the AFS Internship program that has trained 279 interns and helped place 623 professionals in creative media jobs, and Summer @ Austin Studios welcoming 100 students to our campus to learn each year.
• Shining the national spotlight on Texas filmmakers while connecting Austin’s talent and community leaders to the wider film community through premieres, events at major festivals, and the Texas Film Awards.
Production Services Specialist
Austin Public Access is looking for a person to create, operate and promote a Production Services Department within our facility. This role will help generate income for Austin Public Access by effectively operating the business and financial sides of the Production Services Department. This individual will also oversee the Austin Public Access studios and train individuals in their use. In addition, this person will support the Equipment and Lab Coordinator with: A) tech support related to both the equipment and studios, and B) equipment room check-in and check-outs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate for the Production Services Specialist position will serve as lead when Austin Public Access is contacted by individuals, productions companies, community organizations and non-profits for rentals and/or production services. It is essential that he/she has good time management and organization skills and is knowledgeable in the business and financial sides of the TV/film industry.
This position will promote Austin Public Access Production Services, including studio and equipment rentals and production support. The ability to reach out and work with individuals, organizations and production companies will require marketing and prospecting experience as well as good written and oral communication skills.
The Production Services Specialist position requires excellent leadership and film production skills as he/she will be responsible for recruiting and leading a production team when hired for production work. The position involves coordination with the Director of Community Media, Community Media Coordinator and AFS development staff, helping the team secure grants to support in-house productions of community events and low-cost/free services for community organizations.
The Production Services Specialist will provide technical and back-up support for the Equipment and Lab Coordinator and will be required to work one weekend shift per week in the equipment room. He/she will also help train the Austin Public Access Producers, new staff and interns to effectively use the studios.
In order to complete all of the required duties, the Production Services Specialist will work with key staff to operate the online system/web page(s) related to production services, studio and equipment rentals and training. He/she must have a basic understanding of data entry, Google Suite and Microsoft Office.
Some nights and weekends are required.
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
- Background working in TV/Film production
- Minimum 3 years experience in related field
- Associate-level degree in related field or additional field experience equivalent
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Doug Gray, Austin Public Access Station Manager, at email@example.com with “Production Services Specialist – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Production Services Specialist – Doug Gray). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
SUMMER 2016 Internship & Film Referral Program now accepting applications.
The AFS Internship and Film Referral Program is comprised of two phases. Our goals are to educate participants about the film and arts industries and facilitate job placement in the field. The first phase is an Office Internship, followed by a Senior Internship and the Film Referral Program. The Internships each last a semester and takes place at the AFS Offices at Austin Studios. The Film Referral phase is ongoing. More information & application >