Filmmaking Mentor (Summer)
Fall 2016 Internship
Since 1985, the Austin Film Society’s (AFS) mission has been to empower its community to make, watch and love film and creative media. We do this through:
• Exhibition of 200+ internationally relevant films annually
• Filmmaker support including the AFS Grant for emerging Texas filmmakers (totaling $1.5 million since 1996)
• Austin Studios, a 20-acre production facility (operated through a lease with the City of Austin) that supports film, TV and digital media.
• Community media programs in including AFS Film Club in 13 under-served public schools, the AFS Internship program that has trained 279 interns and helped place 623 professionals in creative media jobs, and Summer @ Austin Studios welcoming 100 students to our campus to learn each year.
• Shining the national spotlight on Texas filmmakers while connecting Austin’s talent and community leaders to the wider film community through premieres, events at major festivals, and the Texas Film Awards.
The marketing coordinator is responsible for general administrative support for the department including marketing media and other collateral production, events marketing support and record keeping. This role keeps the activities and initiatives of the department organized and current for the managers and the director.
Measures of Success
• Department deadlines are consistently met
• Increase in funds raised, number of sponsors, and AFS members
• Sales and partnerships close rate increases
• Number of deals in the pipeline increases
• AFS's archives (virtual and physical) are current and well organized
• Increased attendance at each event
• Department processes are documented
Marketing and Communications:
• Social media lead, including managing publication calendar, drafting content for approval by managers and directors, maintaining platform appropriate language, keeping comments current, and alerting organizational staff of relevant comments and requests that require action
• Drafting of marketing communications and circulating for approval
• Supporting promotion of AFS’s programs via community outreach
• Ensuring that all contact lists and communications are accurate and appropriate channels are followed
• Database maintenance for all of the Marketing Department’s constituents.
• Chief archivist for all marketing related content including photos, testimonials, and AFS collateral.
• Presentation production for both internal and external audiences primarily in powerpoint and related programs
• Support in preparing for sponsorships presentations
• Communicating with sponsors’ administrative staff to ensure details are covered.
• Keeping Press Contacts Current
• Assisting in Press Outreach
• Maintaining Press Records
• Archiving Press clippings
Must love film. Highly organized and ability to follow-through. Service minded. Must be responsible, professional, reliable, resourceful, and flexible. Written and oral communication skills. Design sense. Basic knowledge of Marketing in multiple areas (social, print, internet, etc.). Excellent professional phone skills, deep knowledge of various social media platforms, Powerpoint skills a must, MS Word Skills, Hootsuite Skills, Smartsheets, database management basics. Photoshop skills preferred.
BA preferred. 2+ years experience in marketing-related field.
Hours and Compensation
Full-time; hours may vary week to week. May be required to work evenings and weekends for event support. This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Jennifer Mosley, Operations Manager at email@example.com with “Marketing Coordinator – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g., Marketing Coordinator – Jennifer Mosley). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.
FILMMAKING MENTORS (SUMMER)
The Austin Film Society is looking for an enthusiastic, reliable Filmmaking Mentor to teach unique digital filmmaking workshops for 3rd-5th grade students in summer film clubs.
AFS Film Club works with under-resourced schools, focusing on artistic and personal development in students. These workshops provide a safe and nurturing project-based environment for creative expression. The Filmmaking Mentor will also be a part of a team of teachers for AISD’s Camp STAARburst, which encourages students in STEM programs.
Must be available to work 4-5 days a week during afternoons in June 2016.
• Background in film studies or filmmaking.
• Teaching and/or training experience involving kids.
• Familiarity with Final Cut Pro 7, iMovie and Adobe Premiere Pro.
• Experience working with at-risk students.
• Spanish speaker preferred.
• Previous experience working with AISD or another Texas school district.
If chosen, you will be required to have a background check and fingerprinting done.
This is a part-time, contract labor position that is paid hourly.
FUTURE GROWTH POSSIBILITIES
If selected for this current job opening, you will also be considered for future opportunities with AFS, including our Summer @ Austin Public camps, one-time workshops and speaking engagements.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Filmmaking Mentor” in the subject line.
FALL 2016 Internship & Film Referral Program now accepting applications.
The AFS Internship and Film Referral Program is comprised of two phases. Our goals are to educate participants about the film and arts industries and facilitate job placement in the field. The first phase is an Office Internship, followed by a Senior Internship and the Film Referral Program. The Internships each last a semester and takes place at the AFS Offices at Austin Studios. The Film Referral phase is ongoing. More information & application >