Founded in 1985 by filmmaker Richard Linklater, AFS creates life-changing opportunities for filmmakers, catalyzes Austin and Texas as a creative hub, and brings the community together around great film. AFS supports filmmakers towards career leaps, encouraging exceptional artistic projects with grants and support services. AFS operates Austin Studios, a 20-acre production facility, to attract and grow the creative media ecosystem. Austin Public, a space for our city’s diverse mediamakers to train and collaborate, provides many points of access to filmmaking and film careers. The AFS Cinema is an ambitiously programmed repertory and first run arthouse with broad community engagement. By hosting premieres, local and international industry events, and the Texas Film Awards, AFS shines the national spotlight on Texas filmmakers while connecting Austin and Texas to the wider film community. AFS is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Job Purpose Summary
AFS seeks an exceptional accounting professional to work cross-functionally with our programs, development, marketing, and operations departments. The Accounting Manager will be responsible for the complete accounting cycle and must have excellent critical thinking skills. This position will work closely with and report to the Chief Operating Officer. The successful candidate must have a tenacity for precision, warm communication skills, and a love of problem solving.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities
- Enters financial data in an accurate and timely manner for all aspects of the accounting cycle, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and General Ledger maintenance
- Executes the month-end close process, including account reconciliations and journal entries
- Reviews credit card transactions and prepares reconciliations
Budget Team Management
- Distributes monthly reports to departments and inputs corrections
- Runs quarterly budget team meetings with COO
- Prepares custom reports as needed
- Works with staff to identify areas for process efficiencies
- Keeps financial files well-organized
- Prepares and submits all local and state taxes
- Ensures current W-9s are on file for all vendors; processes 1099s at year end
- Ensures that all systems, including QuickBooks, Salesforce, and related POS systems, remain in
- sync and are reconciled monthly (with cooperation from staff)
- Act as a liaison with external auditors to ensure audit is efficient and timely
- High proficiency with QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel required
- Excellent understanding of accounting rules and procedures including the GAAP
- Salesforce experience a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive problem-solver Required Education/Experience
- Minimum two years of direct experience in a broad range of accounting functions
Position Type & Expected Hours
This is a full-time, exempt position with employee benefits. Work hours vary.
Complexities and Conditions of Employment
Physical/ Environmental Demands: Sitting and/or standing, keyboarding, reading, grasping, mousing, handwriting for 8.0+ hours per day, and lifting maximum weight of 20 lbs are essential requirements of the position.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to Anna Crain, HR Manager, at email@example.com with “Accounting Manager – Your Name” in the subject line (e.g. Accounting Manager – Richard Link). All applications will be acknowledged by email. All inquiries are confidential. The Austin Film Society supports workplace diversity and equal opportunity for all individuals. Open until filled.