Committed to freedom of speech and expression, Austin Public is pleased to offer a sliding scale scholarship program for annual fees and certification level courses to provide individuals regardless of financial situation with training and access to resources; support our current/ongoing producers that experience changes to financial resources; encourage more individuals from underrepresented communities to become active at Austin Public; expansion of local producers who make content for the channels; and support students who would like training or resources.
To be considered for fee reductions and/or waivers, please complete the following application and provide the appropriate documentation to demonstrate financial hardship.
Completing an application does not guarantee reduced or waived fees. All scholarships are awarded on the basis of availability, financial need, and are offered on a year-round basis. All applications will be acknowledged via email and they will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
Scholarship Benefits may include:
- Individuals who are new to Austin Public can get free or sliding scale access to producer certification, producer annual fee, and intro camera, audio, lighting and studio classes for a period of 1 year.
- Former Producers who apply for scholarship can get free or sliding scale rates on the producer annual fee and intro camera, audio, lighting and studio classes for a period of 1 year.
- Producers on scholarship can request free or sliding scale access to other class offerings (e.g. intermediate classes and special workshops) within their scholarship year. These are approved on a case-by-case basis depending on space and frequency of producer engagement.
- Please note: there is a limit of 1 scholarship spot per class and that spot is first come, first serve.
- Individuals who make 50%-80% of AMFI are eligible to receive 80% support of fees and classes.
- Individuals who make less than 50% of AMFI are eligible for full support of fees and classes
- Please click here to determine if you qualify.
- Scholarship period lasts one year from date of approval. Producers must reapply to continue to receive benefits.
- Scholarship recipients are expected to become certified producers if they are not already and as Austin Public Producers, abide by all producer policies and conduct.
- Before scholarship is approved, applicant must attend an Orientation class
- Producers must provide content for distribution to Austin Public throughout the scholarship year as outlined in Austin Public Policies & Procedures.
Scholarship term can be terminated early if:
- Individual does not get producer certification within first 6 months of scholarship
- Individual is a “no show” for two registered classes
- Individual violates Austin Public Producer policies
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
We look forward to reviewing your application and hope to see you at the station, soon!